Popular Posts

Thursday 21 January 2010

My Life in the SADF as a Sapper




 2 Field Engineer's Main gates


My name is Ian Buchanan, I lived in Durban, South Africa, the year was 1986. I received my call up papers for February 1987 intake - 2 Field Engineers Regiment in Bethlehem, Orange Free State just before my finals in Matric, what a blow.

February 1987: Off to army -

At Durban station I board this train with no windows, wave goodbye to family, friends and my girlfriend. I find out from one of the many armed guards that we are very valuable cargo and we are also quite a target - great!!!

No windows were allowed, they all had to be blacked out and locked. I boarded and joined another lost soul in our compartment.

The train arrives in Bethlehem in the Orange Free State at 04:30 and as some are half pissed like me, we alight the train into the darkness under armed guard. After we are all herded like sheep we are led off into the darkness by at least 20 to 30 MP's for a 10 minute walk to the camp. We arrive at 21 Field Engineers, also known as main base and we are given our first taste of army cuisine, coffee and a rusk. This was actually very welcome considering the time and the outside ambient temperature being about -15. We then are led off to get a couple of hours sleep in a huge hall.

At 08:00 we are woken up to start our first day as a troep (soldier), do the medicals, get classified G1K1 and your in. Then off to do the dreaded paperwork which was loads and literally sign your life away to the SADF. I started to worry when I was asked to fill in a last will and testament!!!!!


Kit Issue Item
Description
Quantity
Clothing :
Boots
Takkies
Plakkies - "Moses Shoes"
Balaclava
Boshoed
Balkie
Beret
Browns Shirts
Browns Shirts
Browns Pants
Overalls
Socks
Underpants
Vests
PT Shorts
PT Shirts
Jersey
Groot Jas
Bush jacket - Bosbaadjie
Raincoat
Scarf
Web belt








Long Sleeve
Short Sleeve













2 pairs
1 pair
1 pair
1
1
1
1
2
1
2
2
3 pairs
3
2
2
3
1
1
1
1
1
1

We then get issued our uniform and kit which is listed above and then head off to have our hair virtually shaved off, I have never been so bald in my life, I felt and looked like a criminal. Now that we all look the part things then got interesting as we were no longer civvies. Now we are being shouted and screamed at, told we no longer have a mother to run to and protect us and this idiot who I remember as Cpl Kiss is now the only person in the world that cares for me. And then of course the language and the insults used at us, I was by no means an angel but!!!!! Where did the army get these ingrates of society they called corporals. In hindsight he was worse than what I remember later on into training.



 Us Roof's (Newbies) waiting at the barber to get our heads shaved yet again.......


I then realised life was to be very different indeed, as our training had started, I felt like all these fools who were training us were cruel devout devil worshipers.

The running, drilling and PT training then started, on the parade ground in the far corner stood a concrete drainage pipe stuck in the ground and painted like a cigarette with a name being LIFE brand. This we had to run around every two minutes if we did'nt do something right, come to think of it we ran everywhere, even when we ate if the corporal saw fit. As time went on we started to get fit and we also started to learn team work, we were actually getting this army thing.


Charlie bungalow - ready for inspection

Now I guess we have all heard about basic training and how tough it is - well believe it. I do not believe I was ready for what was coming, the physical training, drilling, being screamed at all day and physically and mentally abused - all this for three months for the sole purpose of breaking you and then re-programming you. In essence starting over with a new you.

During my training I did learn a lot about my body and pain, I did things I never dreamed I could achieve after loads more hurt, sweat and team work the next thing you know we have passed basic training and are off home for a 3 days pass for a well deserved rest and my first drink in my three month stint.





An Op Fok (Corrective Behaviour Training)


Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here represent only their respective authors, and do not necessarily reflect the views of any of the other contributors to this website.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been pre-authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available to advance understanding of political, economic, scientific, social, art, media, and cultural issues. Material on this site is distributed without profit to persons interested in such information for research and educational purposes. If you want to use any copyrighted material that may exist on this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.


20 comments:

  1. Dear Ian,

    I am a media&film student at UCT and came across your website while searching for material for my documentary film that tells a story about the Swapo camps in Zambia, one couple's story in the middle of the war. I am quite interested in your pictures. Could you please email me so I could tell you more about my project and perhaps talk about the possibility of using some of your own photographs in my film. I would highly appreciate this. Thank you very much.
    Laura
    laulau811@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian

    You have some fantastic pictures. I have been looking through your blog on and off for a few weeks now, mainly after a scoop or two. Firstly I must apologise for not knowing exactly what a blog is so please excuse me for what most assuredly are blog bloopers at best and probably absolute blogger no, no's. But you have started something that I am personally in touch with, a Bethlehem Sapper . You mention somewhere ( in a round about way) that you are not sure if your experiences in the 'unknown war' shaped your personality. I am pretty much in the same position, my family is my life, I have few friends but nothing like I had in the bush as an 'youngster something year old'. I remember often feeling closer to the stranger lying next to me in the African bush with the MAG than for my own kin. The difference between when you were 'there' and I was is that you have pictures. Would you mind if I comment on any of your 'threads' on your blog if that what they are called? eh eh or is there some way I can start a sub blog on your blog? Rgds Marc J

    PS I think I may be Robot, is this a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marc

    Thanks for the interst, with pleasure comment, this Blog is for all of us and I welome input of any kind, your experiences, views ect. You could always sign up and start your own, pretty easy with blogger.com.

    Take care
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ian was at 21 Field 1984 which was past 22 Field were the Bats amd CMO trained , I was also from Durban and after the thinning out was the only Englishman left , in those days we had the Pienk Pal that we would have to run around , had to take care of the staffs pigs and chickens , the camp was so small that we had a aunty from town come cook us lunch after basics had to do all the subjects , water purification,mine detecting ,wepons ,bridge building ect ...then it was off to the border was stationed between Rundu and Oshakati 18months pure jol...I actually won a weekend pass for my story wich was published in the year book I think in 1985..regards

    mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike

    Thanks for the post, yes I remeber the Tannie in the kitchen, quite a fireball she was. She actually hit me with a ladel or a spoon for making a joke about the food and reported me so I ended up washing dishes and peeling potatoes for a day to put me right. 22 - what a place.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi im looking to see if anyone has photos of or remembers someone from the engineering corps by the name of Raymond Montgomery?

    he was a soutie from zambia, looked a bit like benny bookwurm. did his matric in krugerdorp.

    unfortunately i never knew his regiment or rank, but he was still wet behind the ears when he was sent to the bush.

    i appeal to anyone to help. you can email me at adriandewaal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ian.Was at 21 field 1976...Lucky for me i only did a year.Coming from Cape Town by train for basic training.With hindsight looking back...it was quite stressfull at the age of 19 years to go to some small dorpie up north and be exposed to army life.
    I recon the seventies intakes were more exposed to hardships than the later intakes,
    Nevertheless it was a very traumatic experience which got better as time went along.I just recall we had a sadist corporal Meintjies at 22Field...Piet se gat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ian...Man you have brought it all back to me. I was in Feb 89 intake, but same experiances. Thanks loads. Wayne Smith (also ended up one of a tiny group of souties)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I arrived at the main base in Bethlehem at 01h00 on 4 July 1977. Bitterly cold and being yelled at, we also made our way to the base where our "cuisine" was tepid rooiboos tea and sandwiches that had been made at about 17h00 the day before and left to curl at the edges! You were lucky you slept til 8am, we had an hours sleep before being marched to our first breakfast in the mess. It was fried eggs (already blue around the edges), something that might have been bacon and more rooiboss tea... Those were the days! Cpl (Sapper) Martin Godfrey 74271065BT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gents....If you were never at Bossies you were never in the Sappers.......:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi all, I never went to the Border as my intake was 1992 but did do the riots in the locations. I "klaared in" in January in the main base Bethlehem. I remember my first morning on the dusty parade ground, the sargaent asking who wants to go stay in the "Hotel" instead of in the main base. Some guys volunteered very eagerly and landed up doing basics in the "buite basis". I later on did my "JL's" in Bossies Spruit and it was hell but also brings back good and bad memory's. First day in Bossies and we were leopard crawling on the gravel road, guarding the run down "haunted hotel" at night and noises scaring the crap out of you. Very proud of the unit but was saddened when I took my wife to see 2 Field in 2005 when I was on honeymoon in the Berg. We stopped at the main gate and I got into the base after telling the guard I once served in the unit. He didn't even check the car or us! Base looks run down and dirty now.

      Delete
  11. Hi Ian
    Excellent blog!

    I was in Betlehem during 1970 when it was still called 17 Field Engineers Squadron.

    We were divided in Training groups, I was in B Group, roughly a company size-strength if I remember correctly. A group was busy “klaaring uit” as we B group “Rowers” arrived, in January 1970.

    Did you mention Staff Spiller? Hell, that guy could take strips off you! There was Staff Lotter as well, more benign, but you did not mess with him!

    In my day the bungalows were still named after PF’s who served at 17 Field, and I was in Lincell bungalow. We and Wally bungalow next door formed roughly a platoon, but we were not called that, as we were supposed to be a squadron.

    I’ll post more info later.

    Cheers
    Johann Breedt 67425355BT Spr

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ian,
    Man, you brougt back memories now, I was also in the 1987 Feb intake. I arrived also by train from Pta at around 04h00, same drill except they gooied us all in the back of Samils and gave us the royal roofie ride, but verything else the same. I was in Alpha bungalow main base. Yes we ran everywhere, got smoking fit there, then we after basics we were shipped off to VTH to 5 Military Works regiment and we frequently visited the border. Great blog. If you have more pics could you forwrd them to me, maybe I will be able to spot myself in one of them.Remeber the PTI? Big mother, always used to say "Lyk ek vir jou soos 'n hamburger!!" hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bertie1

    Thanks for the comments, amazing how after such time has passed these memories are so clear still, I would seriously love to press the rewind button as although it was hard and sad it was still the time of my life. Sorry pretty much all pics I have is on the website. If you have any and would like them posted please let me know.
    Take care and please keep in touch - Salute

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  14. I arrived at Bethlehem at 4:30am on the 2nd of June 1976 as a 17 year old boy. A year of lifechanging adventures and events began for me......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering
    which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.


    Also visit my homepage; bill keene building a chicken coop

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ian

    Good memories, I did 2nd phase training at 22Field Squadron in 86, "Piet se gat" by the skietbaan. Man, they made us run that 2,4 Km mmi on that dirt road like non stop," troep jy sal bloed pis soos a resies hoenner", drolle dikker as jou nek kak!" I remember Staff Du Preez, Sammajoor ( Sergeant- Major) Meintjies, Capt Harrison ( CO). Old SM Meintjies had this bright idea after us coming home from pass one weekend, he placed this huge sign on a rock that was on a mountain next to the parade ground that read " net vir jou". So every time we screwed up or they have it in for us, the would just point to the sign and we had to run up the mountain around the rock with the sign and back down again, we were very fit after running a few times around that rock. I have some good stories like all of us who did our time.Good job.

    Unbelieveable times, very good blog.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ian do you remember me?Barry Marshall ,I was also in Charlie Bungalow ,Remember tall guy with spec,s,go to facebook ,look for Bertus Marshall,my real name,there is a photo that was taken in the hall,you will see everybody there.I spent my second year in Mpacha in the Caprivi,while you guys were sent to Oshakati...Long time ago ,but stil remember the experience .It was not so bad after all,remember.

    ReplyDelete
  18. July '77 intake. And still a proud Sapper. Just found your blog after spotting your photos on facebook and reading the small print.
    Keep it up. WIll be back for more!!!

    ReplyDelete